To finish things off for this weeks rhubarb round up, I thought muffins would be a perfect fit for the rainy weekend we have ahead. I always make muffins in the winter, but often fall out of this habit in the summer. I would rather light up the BBQ then turn the oven on in the heat. I will be changing this habit now that I have this fantastic recipe. Muffins are such a great mid-afternoon snack and are very easy to pack for a day at the lake, walking around the zoo or just hanging around the house. These muffins are very refreshing with a cup of ice cold tea! Have a fabulous weekend!
Strawberry-Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries (can swap for mango as well!)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the oats, yogurt, oil, egg and brown sugar and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Combine the oat mix with the flour mix.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries and rhubarb. Be sure to not over mix.
- Scoop the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups for 12 large muffins, or you if you want smaller muffins, spread the batter between 16 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.