Guest Post by Kimberly Gagnac, Nutrition Student
I love to experiment in the kitchen, putting my own twists on recipes in hopes it turns out delicious. I won’t lie, I have had multiple attempts where my recipes did not work out so well, but I also have had great success too. My favourite food would have to be pizza, even when I am a nutrition student. One day I had a craving for it but there was no yeast to make the dough, or any of those classic pizza toppings in my house, but did that stop me? Absolutely not! I got creative with it and found a pizza dough recipe that does not need yeast and dug into my pantry and fridge to find toppings. I came up with a pesto chicken pizza that even my sister enjoyed! This was just one of the successes I had with experimenting with recipes. Do you like to get creative in the kitchen? Try this recipe and put your own creative spin to it and see how it turns out. You may surprise yourself!
Pesto Chicken Pizza
Serves 2-3 people
Pizza Crust Recipe by: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/244638/no-yeast-pizza-crust/
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or mix 1/2 all-purpose, 1/2 whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 4oz chicken breasts, cooked
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Pesto (more if
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Cheddar cheese
1) Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) For the crust, mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in milk and olive oil until a soft dough forms.
3) Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times. Shape dough into a ball and cover for 10 minutes.
4) Roll dough onto a cookie sheet. Mix together pesto, garlic powder, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Spread the sauce over the crust. Top with bell peppers, chicken breast and sprinkle with cheese on top.
5) Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.