No Superbowl party is complete without a full table of great appetizers. Whether you are the host or you are heading to a friend’s place, these snacks are crowd pleasers! Sport game snacks are infamous for being salty or full of fat. It can also be difficult to monitor how much you have eaten when you get nervous or stressed about what you are watching! 😉 I have modified a few classics to help you feel better about what you are eating.
Powered up Spinach & Artichoke Dip
This is always a favorite appetizer and I have modified it to increase the protein and reduce the fat. Your friends will not even notice the difference!
· 1 block/package (8oz) of low fat cream cheese, room temperature
· 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
· ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
· ½ cup finely chopped onion
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
· 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, cottage cheese and ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Once well combined, mix in the rest of the ingredients.
3. Spread mixture in an 8 X 8 baking dish and top with the rest of the Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is bubbling and lightly browned.
Light Jalapeno Poppers
· 12 fresh jalapenos, halved, seeded and membranes removed
· 1 block low fat cream cheese
· 1 cup cheddar cheese
· ½ tsp garlic powder
· ½ tsp chili powder
· ½ tsp paprika
· ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
· 1 cup whole wheat Panko crumbs
· 2 tbsp canola oil
· 6 strips of turkey bacon, cooked and diced
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and spices.
3. Stuff each jalapeno half 1-2 tbsp cheese mixture and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese becomes gooey/bubbly.
4. While jalapenos are cooking, heat oil in a pan and add the panko crumbs. Stir until crumbs become a light golden brown. Set aside.
5. Once jalapenos are finished, top with panko crumbs and turkey bacon. Serve immediately.
Shredded BBQ Chicken Pizza
· 3-4 chicken breasts
· ½ cup BBQ sauce
1. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Top with the BBQ sauce.
2. Cook on high for 4 hours.
3. Once finished, shred the chicken.
· Large whole wheat pita
· ¾ cup shredded cheese
· Shredded chicken
· 1-2 pickles, diced
· 1 slice onion
· Optional: extra BBQ sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place pita on a pizza or baking sheet. Option to spread extra BBQ sauce on bottom. Top with chicken, pickles, onion and then cheese.
3. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are browns and cheese is melted.
4. Slice into squares and serve.
Make as many pita’s as you want. Other topping that would also taste great include peppers, mushrooms, banana peppers, diced tomatoes. Play around with the toppings you like!