It may be the first day of spring today but I am home fighting a cold, feeling the aches and pains of pregnancy. I was looking for a comforting snack before I soothe my throat with lemon tea and soup. My ultimate comfort food, Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, were the perfect fit for my afternoon! Whenever I am feeling sick or in need of some R&R, these are the first thing I bake. I have not modified this recipe to give it a ‘healthy’ edge as I think comfort food deserves its place in our balanced diet. Homemade muffins are already a better option for a snack than store bought or packaged foods and kids love them! I also love a good muffin with chocolate milk after a hard workout- nothing tastes better! Today I will be enjoying my muffin with a cup of hot Chai tea, I cannot wait!
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I blend whole wheat and all purpose flour)
– 1 cup rolled oats
– 1/2 cup white sugar (can also use 1/3 cup maple syrup but are much less sweet this way)
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 egg
– ¾ cup milk
– 1/3 cup vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
– ¾ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12-15 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Stir together flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine slightly beaten egg, milk, vanilla, oil, and bananas.
3. Stir mixtures together just until combined; batter will be very thick. Scoop into prepared muffin cups.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 17-19 minutes. Recipe makes 12-15 muffins
· Swap out the chocolate for your favorite fruit, I have used berries, pears and apples.
· Add a tbsp of ground flax seed for some extra fiber.
· Add walnuts to increase your omega 3 intake.